I am keen on nature’s compact greens, reminiscent of squash, peppers, and eggplant, which make fantastic “containers” for savory fillings. When crammed with entire grains, legumes, herbs, and nuts, these unassuming greens flip into a stunning plant-based meal in a single. This recipe for Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat is impressed by a visit to the farmers market, the place I spied stunning golden acorn squash simply the right dimension for stuffing. You can also use conventional green-skinned acorn squash, in addition to any small squash, reminiscent of butternut, buttercup, and carnival, that are extensively accessible in most supermarkets.
I flip to a vegetable broth to simmer grain and legume fillings as a way to add a wealthy taste. And I exploit fast cooking freekeh (a type of toasted inexperienced entire wheat) and lentils on this stuffed squash recipe, which implies which you could create this straightforward stuffed squash dish very quickly. This vegan stuffed squash recipe is simply so satisfying and healthful! All it’s important to do is pair it with a crisp salad and you’ve got a chic meal any time of the week. Plus it’s completely fabulous for the vacations, too.
Flip to winter squash to create a wholesome, scrumptious plant-based Stuffed Squash with Sage Lentils and Wheat.
- 2 small (about 1 ¾ pound every) squashes (i.e., acorn, butternut, carnival)
- 1 tablespoon additional virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 3 inexperienced onions, finely diced
- ½ cup diced mushrooms
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 tablespoons contemporary sage, chopped (or 2 teaspoon dried)
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ¼ teaspoon dried mustard
- ½ cup inexperienced or brown lentils, dried
- ½ cup bulgur, raw
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce, decreased sodium
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Break up acorn squash in half horizontally, scoop out seeds.
- Place in a baking dish crammed with ½ inch water and bake for half-hour.
- Whereas squash is baking, put together filling. Warmth olive oil in a sauté pan or skillet.
- Sauté garlic, celery, onions, and mushrooms for 4 minutes.
- Add walnuts, sage, black pepper, smoked paprika, and mustard.
- Stir in lentils and bulgur, and sauté for a further minute.
- Add broth and soy sauce, stirring effectively.
- Cowl and simmer on medium warmth for Quarter-hour, stirring steadily. Makes about 3 cups filling.
- Fill squash cavities with filling (about 3/4 cup every).
- Return to oven, uncovered and bake for a further 10-Quarter-hour till filling is golden brown.
- Take away from oven and serve.
Key phrases: stuffed acorn squash, stuffed acorn squash recipes, vegan stuffed acorn squash, stuffed squash, stuffed squash recipe
For different squash recipes, take a look at a few of my favorites:
This submit might comprise affiliate hyperlinks. For extra data, click on right here.