This one-pot jambalaya recipe is simple, scrumptious, and satisfying due to the addition of hen, shrimp, and spicy andouille sausage. You’re half-hour away from a Mardi Gras dinner that the entire household will love!
Simple Home made Jambalaya Recipe
Jambalaya is my go-to winter stew! Through the winter season, I make this jambalaya recipe about as soon as a month. When the climate’s chilly, there’s nothing higher than a hearty consolation meals dinner with slightly bit of warmth to heat you up inside and outside!
My jambalaya is flavorful and filling, and it’s additionally the right casserole for feeding a crowd. It’s a flexible dish that may be adjusted to fit your private taste preferences, and it actually is a wonderful recipe for those who prefer to strive new issues.
Jambalaya is a well-liked Creole and Cajun dish with African, Spanish, and French influences. As a result of it originated in Louisiana, it’s usually related to Mardi Gras, however there’s no cause you possibly can’t eat it year-round. (And belief me, you will wish to!)
It’s usually ready with hen, shrimp or crawfish, andouille sausage, and rice, though there are every kind of variations on the traditional. The meat-and-rice combo is flavored with the Cajun holy trinity—onion, celery, and inexperienced pepper—together with herbs, spices, and diced tomatoes.
Along with being the last word consolation meals, this jambalaya recipe can be the last word one-pot dinner. You’ve acquired your veggies, your meat, and your starch multi functional handy pot. We’re speaking a good weeknight dinner right here, associates!
What You’ll Want
Right here’s a rundown of the substances you’ll want for this jambalaya recipe. Scroll right down to the recipe card for the portions and recipe directions.
- Yellow onion
- Celery ribs
- Bell peppers: Inexperienced is the traditional selection for a jambalaya recipe, however you need to use crimson, orange, or yellow should you desire.
- Boneless skinless hen breasts: I like boneless skinless hen breasts as a result of they’re really easy to work with, however you can even use a distinct minimize of hen.
Candy paprika: Candy paprika is good, smoked paprika is scrumptious too, however keep away from scorching paprika until you need your jambalaya tremendous spicy!
- Andouille sausage: Lower the sausage into 1/4-inch rounds.
- Tomato paste: If you happen to purchase a can for this recipe, freeze the remaining in 1-tablespoon parts, pop them in a freezer bag, and also you received’t want to purchase a brand new can subsequent time you want tomato paste!
- Low-sodium fats free hen broth: Hen inventory may also be used, however as a result of inventory is unseasoned, you’ll want so as to add extra salt to the recipe.
- Diced tomatoes
- Lengthy grain rice
- Cajun seasoning: Cajun seasoning can carry a number of warmth, so be at liberty to regulate to your liking.
- Shrimp: Peel and devein the shrimp.
What Form of Sausage is Andouille?
Andouille is a Cajun smoked sausage made with pork, onions, pepper, and different seasonings. It’s coarse-grained, and it may be fairly spicy, relying on the variability you purchase.
The best way to Make Jambalaya
It’s time to roll up your sleeves and make this hearty jambalaya recipe! Right here’s what you’ll have to do.
- Put together. Warmth the oil in a big Dutch oven set over medium warmth.
- Prepare dinner the trinity. Add the onions, celery, and bell peppers to the Dutch oven and season with salt and pepper. Prepare dinner for 4 minutes or till simply softened. Stir in garlic and prepare dinner for 1 minute.
- Add the hen. Stir within the hen, candy paprika, and oregano and prepare dinner for five minutes, or till the hen is properly browned on all sides.
- Add the subsequent a number of substances. Add the sausage and tomato paste; stir and prepare dinner for 1 minute, then add the hen broth, crushed tomatoes, rice, and cajun seasoning. Deliver the combination to a boil.
- Simmer. Cut back the warmth to medium-low and canopy the pot. Prepare dinner for 20 minutes, or till the rice is tender and many of the liquid is absorbed.
- End. Add the shrimp and prepare dinner for 4 to five minutes, or till it’s pink and cooked by way of. Take away from warmth, garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and dried parsley, then serve.
As you possibly can see, this jambalaya recipe is straightforward. That stated, these extra suggestions will allow you to make it good!
- Can’t discover andouille sausage? You should use a distinct sort of smoked sausage like kielbasa or chorizo.
- Regulate the rice. After 10 minutes, carry the lid of the Dutch oven and take a peek. If it appears to be like dry, add extra hen broth.
- Don’t overcook it. Jambalaya isn’t a saucy dish, nevertheless it isn’t a dry rice dish both, so don’t look forward to all the liquid to soak up. As quickly because the rice is tender, you possibly can transfer onto the subsequent step of the recipe.
- Regulate it to your liking. Cajun meals is understood for being spicy, however you possibly can at all times make this jambalaya recipe on the milder aspect after which let everybody regulate the warmth for their very own particular person servings by including Tabasco or further Cajun seasoning.
Jambalaya is an entire meal with protein, greens, and grains multi functional pot. Serve it as-is, or high it with further inexperienced onions, parsley, or scorching sauce. If you happen to’d like so as to add a aspect, serve this jambalaya recipe with a small salad to maintain it gentle and wholesome or with some cornbread and an acidic crimson wine like Pinot Noir or Zinfandel.
The best way to Retailer and Reheat Leftover Jambalaya
- Leftover jambalaya might be saved in an hermetic container and refrigerated for as much as 3 days. To reheat, place the jambalaya in a saucepan over medium-low warmth with a splash of water or broth and gently stir till heated by way of—or simply pop it within the microwave!
Can I Freeze Jambalaya?
- Sure, you possibly can freeze jambalaya for as much as 3 months. Retailer it in an hermetic container or freezer bag; let it thaw within the fridge in a single day earlier than serving, then reheat it over medium-low warmth. If it’s dry, stir in a number of tablespoons of broth or water.
Extra Cajun-Impressed Recipes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 2 bell peppers, diced (you can even use crimson, inexperienced, yellow, and many others.)
- salt and recent floor black pepper, to style
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound boneless skinless hen breasts, cubed
- ¼ teaspoon candy paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 6 ounces andouille sausage, sliced into ¼-inch rounds
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups hen broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup lengthy grain rice
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning, or to style
- 1 pound uncooked shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 inexperienced onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- chopped recent parsley, for garnish
In a big Dutch oven warmth olive oil over medium warmth.
Add onions, celery, and bell peppers and season with salt and pepper.
Prepare dinner for 4 minutes, or till simply tender. Stir in garlic and prepare dinner for 1 minute.
Stir in hen and add candy paprika and oregano.
Prepare dinner for five minutes, or till hen is browned on all sides.
Stir within the sliced sausage and tomato paste; prepare dinner for 1 minute.
Add hen broth, crushed tomatoes, rice and cajun seasoning.
Deliver combination to a boil; scale back warmth to medium low and canopy the pot with a lid.
Prepare dinner for 20 minutes, or till rice is tender and many of the liquid is absorbed.
Add the shrimp and prepare dinner for 3 to 4 minutes or till the shrimp is pink and cooked by way of.
Take away from warmth.
Garnish with sliced inexperienced onions and dried parsley.
- Hen: I take advantage of boneless, skinless hen breasts, however this tastes nice with boneless, skinless hen thighs, too.
- Andouille Sausage: If you happen to can’t discover andouille sausage or wish to strive one thing completely different, you need to use polish kielbasa or chorizo.
- Rice: Lengthy grain rice is the only option for jambalaya because it cooks up fluffy and separate, creating a greater texture.
- Broth: Use a wealthy hen (or seafood) broth to prepare dinner your jambalaya. It will add depth and extra taste to the dish.
- Seasonings: Regulate the substances and seasonings to fit your tastes.
Energy: 365 kcal | Carbohydrates: 35 g | Protein: 27 g | Fats: 13 g | Saturated Fats: 4 g | Polyunsaturated Fats: 2 g | Monounsaturated Fats: 6 g | Trans Fats: 0.1 g | Ldl cholesterol: 73 mg | Sodium: 498 mg | Potassium: 839 mg | Fiber: 3 g | Sugar: 6 g | Vitamin A: 1749 IU | Vitamin C: 62 mg | Calcium: 65 mg | Iron: 2 mg | Internet Carbs: 32 g
Dietary information is an estimate and offered as courtesy. Values might fluctuate in response to the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed information.